Handling of a Client’s Personal Information
1. Purposes of the use of personal information
In accordance with the Act on the Protection of Personal Information (Act No. 57 enacted on and enforced since May 30, 2003; hereinafter “the Act” or “the Personal Information Protection Act”), SMBC shall use a client’s personal information to carry out the following operations and only to the extent necessary for accomplishing the purpose of use.
Note that an individual’s credit information provided by a personal credit information agency and sensitive information as set forth under the Guidelines for Protection of Personal Information in the Financial Sector shall not be used for purposes other than those limited to Article 13-6-6 and Article 13-6-7 of the Ordinance for Enforcement of the Banking Act.
In addition, SMBC shall specifically set clear-cut purposes for use of personal information that are easy to understand for clients. SMBC limits the purpose of use depending on the method of collection of personal information. For example, client’s responses to questionnaires are used only for tallying the results.
- Deposits, domestic exchange, money exchange, loan, foreign exchange, and ancillary operations
- Sales of investment trusts and insurance policies, financial instrument intermediary business, trust business, corporate bond business, and other operations that a bank is authorized to conduct under the law, and ancillary operations
- iii. Other operations that a bank is authorized to operate, and ancillary operations (including those that a bank may be authorized to operate in the future)
- (2)Purpose of use
- Acceptance of applications for financial products and services, including opening accounts for various financial products and transactions
- Confirmations, including verifying customer identity in accordance with the Act on Prevention of Transfer of Criminal Proceeds or qualification for the use of SMBC financial products and services
- Management of ongoing transactions, including management of due dates for deposits and loans
- Rendering decisions when accepting loan applications or ongoing use of financial products and services
- Rendering decisions on whether it is appropriate to extend financial products and services, including rendering decisions by taking into account factors such as compatibility and suitability rules
- Provision to a third party, to the extent necessary for conducting proper operations, including provision of personal information to an affiliated personal credit information agency when running a credit check
- Proper performance of outsourced operations, where the processing of personal information entrusted to SMBC is being carried out fully or in part
- Exercising rights or fulfillment of obligations in accordance with the law or an agreement with the client
- Research and development of financial products and services, through the implementation of market research, data analysis, and questionnaires
- Proposals of various financial products and services, including sending direct mail
- Proposal of various financial product and services, including those offered by our affiliates
- Administrative and management duties during and following the cancellation of various transactions
- Other matters essential to the proper and smooth performance of business transactions with clients
Regarding the above purposes of use, SMBC shall disclose this on its corporate website. In addition, this information shall be made available for perusal at all branch offices in Japan. Also, individuals will be notified in writing.
Except for cases where the purpose of use of personal information is obvious based on the conditions under which personal information is acquired, including deposit and withdrawal transactions, and wire transfer transactions, SMBC shall clearly state the purpose of use of personal information when acquiring personal information directly, in writing, from the client, in conjunction with signed agreements with the client.
Moreover, SMBC shall obtain the client’s consent for the use of personal information for credit transactions, including housing loan transactions, while at the same time, clearly stating the purpose of use.
2. Proper acquisition of personal information
SMBC may acquire personal information from the following sources, by employing proper and legal methods to the extent necessary for accomplishing the purpose of use defined in 1. above.
- (1)Instances where personal information is directly obtained from documents completed and submitted by the client, including new applications for deposit accounts (This includes documents, including applications, submitted in person, or input and submitted by the client themselves online).
- (2)Cases where personal information is supplied by a third party, including joint users, such as local clearing houses, and personal credit information agencies
3. Handling of sensitive information
SMBC shall not acquire, use, or provide to any third party sensitive information, as defined under the Guidelines for Protection of Personal Information in the Financial Sector (Financial Services Agency Announcement No. 63 of 2009), with the exception of cases set forth in the guidelines, including situations where required by law or where consent is obtained from the client within the extent necessary for conducting operations. In addition, the purpose of use for sensitive information shall be limited to the purpose of use set forth under Article 13-6-7 of the Ordinance for Enforcement of the Banking Act. SMBC shall not use sensitive information for purposes other than those stipulated in the ordinance.
4. Ensuring the accuracy of personal data
SMBC shall do its best to ensure the personal information is accurate and current within the extent necessary for accomplishing the purpose of use. Contact the local SMBC branch office you do business with in writing should any of your information change.