Sumitomo Mitsui Banking Corporation
SMBC complies with the matters specified in this policy, as well as laws and regulations related to the proper protection and use of personal information. In addition to working to ensure the proper protection and use of the personal information of clients, SMBC aims to continue to improve the management platform for handling personal information to properly address advances in the use of information technology in this area.
2. Purpose of use of personal information
- （1）SMBC shall identify the purpose for which the personal information is to be used, and utilize a client’s personal information to the extent necessary, excluding cases stipulated by law, to achieve the stated purpose. The purpose of use of personal information is disclosed on the SMBC website. Inquiries about use can also be made at a nearby main office or branch.
- （2）SMBC shall use the specific personal information only within the confines of the purpose in the event that its use is restricted by laws and ordinances, including the Ordinance for Enforcement of the Banking Act.
- （3）SMBC shall immediately terminate the use of personal information for sending direct mails and direct marketing, including telemarketing, in the event that an individual makes a formal request that their personal information not be used for such purposes.
3. Proper acquisition of personal information
SMBC shall acquire a client’s personal information using a proper and legal approach for the extent necessary to accomplish the stated purpose of use, as specified in 2. above.
4. Provision of personal information to third parties
SMBC shall not provide a third party with a client’s personal information with their prior consent, unless it permissible by law.
5. Safety control measures
SMBC shall take proper safety measures to prevent the loss, falsification, or leak of a client’s personal information. Moreover, SMBC shall provide training to all employees that handle client personal information to educate them on the importance of protecting personal information. Proper oversight is also conducted when a client’s personal information is entrusted to another party.
6. Procedures, including those for handling disclosure requests
SMBC shall properly and promptly comply with procedures, including disclosure requests, which are specified by law. The details of these procedures have been made public on the SMBC corporate website. Inquiries can also be made at a nearby main office or branch.
SMBC shall properly and promptly address opinions and requests received regarding the handling of personal information. Contact the branch or office you do business with for opinions, requests or inquiries on SMBC’s handling of personal information and safety control measures. Also, contact the customer service lines below for complaints concerning the handling of personal information.
- [Telephone number]
- Customer Service Line (Tokyo) (03) 3211-1201
Customer Service Line (Osaka) (06) 6222-0722
Lines are open weekdays from 9:00 to 17:00
Affiliation with Authorized Personal Information Protection Organizations
SMBC is a member of the All Banks Personal Data Protection Council, an authorized organization for the protection of personal information in the field of financial services. The Council's customer inquiry window accepts complaints and provides consultation to members on the handling of personal information (JBA consultation office and consumer relations office of the JBA).
All Banks Personal Data Protection Council
[Contact for complaints/consultation]
(03) 5222-1700 Or visit your nearby bank transaction consultation office