Handling of a Client’s Personal Information
6. Provision and use of personal information by personal credit information agencies and their affiliates
- (1)As indicated below, in accordance with Article 23-1 of the Act on the Protection of Personal Information, SMBC acquires client consent through applications and agreements for the provision and use of personal information by personal credit information agencies and their affiliates (including SMBC).
- In the event that a client’s personal information is registered with a personal credit information agency of which SMBC is a member, or with other personal credit information institutions that are affiliated with said agency (this includes information such as agreements and repayment terms registered by each member of an agency, information on bounced checks/notes, and bankruptcy and other matters announced in the official gazette) SMBC may use a client’s personal information for the purpose of making decisions on whether to extend credit (to ascertain repayment capability or new addresses; however, in line with Article 13-6-6 of the Ordinance for Enforcement of the Banking Act, usage of information on repayment capability is limited to screening of said capability).
- The following personal information (including histories) is registered with a personal credit information agency of which SMBC is a member, and the members of the agency and other personal credit information institutions affiliated with said agency have access to the information to assess credit transactions of their own.
Registered information Registration period Personal information including name, date of birth, gender, address (including confirmation of delivery of mail by postal service), telephone number, and workplace Period of registration of any piece of information indicated below Amount of borrowings, date borrowed, date of final repayment and other terms of contract and repayment status (including facts such as delinquency, subrogated payment, enforced collection, cancellation, and repayment in full) During the agreement period or no longer than five (5) years from a date of the termination of the agreement (date of repayment in full if the debt is not yet fully repaid) Date of access to the personal credit information agency of which SMBC is a member and details of agreement or application No longer than one (1) year from the date of use Information on bounced checks Not more than six (6) months from the date first check/note bounced; not more than five (5) years from the date transactions with the client were terminated Official gazette Not more than ten (10) years from the date it was announced bankruptcy would start Notification of investigation into complaints about registered information Only during the period of said investigation Information based on the claim filed by client that the identity verification document has been lost or stolen, or self-restriction of the loan amount Not more than five (5) years from the date the client files the claim
- (2)As indicated below, SMBC jointly uses personal data with the personal credit information agencies of which it is an affiliate, in accordance with Article 23-5-3 of the Act on the Protection of Personal Information. However, as stated in (1) above, for agreements entered into after the full enactment of the Act (April 1, 2005), SMBC must obtain client consent to share personal information.
- Personal information that is jointly used
Information contained in official gazettes (names, addresses, bankruptcy data, dates, etc.)
- Scope of joint usage
Members of the Japan Bankers Personal Credit Information Center (JBPCIC) and the Japanese Bankers' Association (JBA)
Note:The JBPCIC is a personal credit information agency established and run by the JBA and membership qualifications are as follows:
- a.Full members of JBA
- b.Banks other than those categorized in (a.) above or financial institutions regarded as equivalent to banks by law
- c.Governmental financial institutions and their equivalents
- d.Credit guarantee associations established set forth in the Credit Guarantee Association Act (Act No. 196 enforced on August 10, 1953)
- e.Corporations engaging in extending credit to private individuals that are recommended by the members in a.-c. above
- Purpose for joint usage
Decided by the members of JBPCIC for their own credit transactions
- Name of entity responsible for managing personal information
- Personal information that is jointly used
- (3)In addition to the above-mentioned personal information, personal credit information agencies and their members may use or provide one another with personal information to the extent necessary to ensure the protection and proper use of personal information, including ensuring that it is accurate and current, handling complaints, and monitoring of member compliance by a personal credit information agency.
- (4)The personal credit information agencies of which SMBC is a member are listed below. Membership qualification of each agency, names of members and other information can be found on their respective websites. Note that disclosure to clients of registered information is conducted by the agency itself.
Japan Bankers Personal Credit Information Center
1-3-1, Marunouchi, Chiyoda-ku, Tokyo 100-8216
Main members include financial institutions and their affiliates.
Japan Credit Information Reference Center Corp.
1-10-14, Kitaueno,Taito-ku, Tokyo 110-0014
Main members include companies engaging in the credit businesses, such as money-lending, credit extensions, leasing, guarantee, financial services, and other related businesses
Credit Information Center Corp.
(Designated credit information agency under the Installment Sales Act)
Shinjuku First West 15F, 1-23-7, Nishi-Shinjuku, Shinjuku-ku, Tokyo 160-8375
Main members include companies engaging in credit businesses such as installment sales.
- Japan Bankers Personal Credit Information Center